How SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) works

Last week my internet Modem/Router stopped working. My wife called the ISP company here in Brazil to come and change / repair it... but I couldn't stand the time waiting without decent connection... Let's try fixing it!

The router didn't even show any light, so I suspected a problem in the power supply, the LED light on the power supply didn't even light, so I was almost sure the problem came from the power transformer.

I simply fired um my multimeter, looking behind the transformer at the output power: 15vDC.
+ inside the socket and - outside... nothing came out.
I removed the imput cable to check if the 110v current was even reaching the transformer, and I got 110v. AC

No screw on the transformer, I used my Dremel to open up the black plastic box:

It looked fine inside, no sign of burnt out material, or no obvious blown fuse...

First, some big bad Capacitor to discharge, using an isolated screw driver., then I used the multimeter to check tension at different points of the internal circuit. While I got 110 v coming out at the beginning of the circuit, nothing came out at the end...

I was quickly recognizing that I din't understand almost anything of it..., how does this damn thing work? would be nice to know more about it...

And here is a very interesting video that explained how it works...




After spending a long time to grasp all these concepts more "in depth", I highly recommend this interesting (and free) course on Coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/power-electronics

I hope you will'll like it!

This helped me to realize how much of a technological advance this innovation is really: SMPS and its underlying concept of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is one of the key innovations that helped reduce the size of all our electronic equipments, as well as enhance drastically their power efficiency!


Commentaires